Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Fill in the Blank

I've had a hankering to post semi-regularly about my favorite professional quotations that I love to collect.  They're so much a part of the teacher I am today.  Cheesy?  I suppose so but very true nonetheless.  (Certainly can't say that about teacher's manuals or curriculum, for that matter.)  If interested, look here to read about how I collect and store quotes from my professional reading.  I was really hoping I could use the word "Quotations" in the post title, but I wanted to be alliterative and I couldn't find a day of the week that began with Qu.  Thus, Saturday Sayings might have to do.


I love how writing is right up there with speaking and reading.  Kind of makes it sound like it's just a wee bit important, huh?  I'm often perplexed at its absence though.  Time is a typical excuse.  Okay, I can empathize.  It's a valid issue.  I feel the time crunch as much as the next teacher.  Are there ever enough minutes in the day?  It makes me wonder though, "What's third on the list then?"  Speak, read, and... fill in the blank.  What's in the blank that eats up time and pushes daily writing to the bottom of the list?   

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I agree, writing is so important and goes hand in hand with reading, each building the other. I love the quotes. Gets you to thinking!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. Thanks for always thinking I have decent things to share.

      Delete
  2. Speak Read and we're done, comes to mind. Unless of course you are "practicing writing" for high-stakes tests (for the two months before they take place). Then, whew, you're done until next year! That may sound a little harsh, but it sort of describes the writing dilemma. Doesn't it?
    I like the old saying: Reading Writing and Arithmetic. Put that saying in Workshop mode and you have the foundations of a good day!
    I always enjoy your posts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, thank you for your comments. I'm glad that you enjoy my posts. That really means a lot to me, especially when I wonder if I'm speaking my mind a little too much. It's always nice to have a few supporters in your corner. Thanks for being one of mine.

      Delete
  3. At my school speak probably isn't considered. :) But if it was it would be:

    Speak, read, and identify parts of speech even thought they will never be considered later in life. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, your comment makes me giggle but unfortunately, your scenario sounds all too familiar in schools across our country.

      Delete