Saturday, October 11, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Why?


I've been helping my best friend clean the house her family is moving into.  (And how is it homeowners don't know that leaving a disgustingly dirty house to a new owner is completely inconsiderate?)  Anyway, I've been up to my teeth in Mr. Clean.  My friend swears by the product and asked me if I'd ever used it before.  I grew up with Comet.  It's what I'm accustomed to.  I've never entertained the idea of giving up a product I've always used.  

I believe we teachers think or maybe don't think about certain practices like I view Comet.  Sometimes we inherit the practices of those who taught us, those we work with, or the teaching culture as a whole, without asking the right question.  Why?

For example, I almost didn't teach an apple unit this year simply because I stopped to ask myself, "Why?"  Why am I teaching an apple unit?  If it's because first grade teachers across the planet do so, that's not good enough.  Neither is it enough that I've been teaching the unit for years.  I better know why I'm doing everything I do.

One of the common classroom practices that makes me scratch my chin is morning work.  Dare I ask, "Why?"  What is the purpose of morning work?  From what I can tell, it's typically some kind of worksheet or glorified version of one.  I get the sense it might keep the kids busy for a bit and free up the teacher.  Again, "Why?"  What is the teacher doing that requires the kids to be busy?  Attendance?  It takes me less than a minute to take attendance on the computer.  Plus, it gives the kids a chance to communicate with each other.  "Take out a small moment from your pocket and share with your neighbor what you did last night."  Is it about lunch count?  It takes us less than a minute to do this whole group right now.  It's a mini math lesson in the making.   

As much as possible, I'd like my classroom to mirror the real world.  I'll be the first to admit I'm not there yet, but it forces me to think about real-world adult applications.  How would I feel about coming to school every morning and finding some kind of busy work left on my desk by the principal?  I think I might dread that part of the day.  Maybe our kids do too.  Even if they don't, is it the best use of their time?  Let's ask the right question, even if others haven't.  Why?


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I think it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to think about "why" we do what we do. Time is so precious during our school day. We need to make every minute count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie. It's good to see you again, by the way. I've missed your comments and your posts.

      Delete
  2. What a great reminder! I wish our admins would ask themselves that question every once in a while too. :) We are required to have them journal in the mornings-while they eat breakfast-you can imagine what happens to their journals. *sigh*

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I wish your admins would ask that question too. :) I can only imagine how journaling and breakfast go so well together in a K classroom.

      Delete
  3. Time is so short in the classroom...this is a great reminder to consider why we are doing what we are and if we could replace anything with a more meaningful activity. I like your comparison to busy work left to us by our principals. We would not find that a valuable use of our time. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, yep I'm pretty sure the average teacher wouldn't appreciate busy work left by the principal. That could get old pretty fast. :)

      Delete
  4. The longer I teach the more I find myself asking that question. Regie is very wise. BTW, I've started putting out books in the morning...at the meeting area...while we wait for everyone to arrive and it's working beautifully. Chatting, visiting, reading, talking about books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I love that your books-in-the-morning system is going well. What a wonderful way to start the day.

      Delete
  5. Tammy, I really love this post all of it is so true...WHY??? It's funny my kids keep bring home Johnny Apple Seed stuff and I keep thinking why are they learning about Johnny? How is that more important than meaningful reading and writing??? Happy Sunday! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, thank you for dropping by and adding your thoughts today. I really did have to think twice about doing an apple unit. If my kids weren't going to come away with some important lifelong thinking, reading, writing, mathematical, scientific skills, then I didn't want to do it.

      Delete
  6. What a great reminder to really think about why we do what we do! It's so easy to fall into habits/ruts, and it's so important to always be evaluating our practices and be willing to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, yes habits and ruts are so easy to fall into without even knowing it too.

      Delete
  7. So true! I admit when I first started teaching, I had morning work. Ugh! It became my least favorite thing too! Once I started Daily 5, I knew it was much more valuable to start a round as kids come in. I keep questioning too--everything. I think the question why is behind our growth as teachers.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, We all can talk about the things we used to do and respond with "Ugh!" :) Why = growth. I agree.

      Delete
  8. Just this week I heard a quote that might apply: We used to teach for answers; now we must teach for questions. You're wise to ask WHY?!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, that is good advice and something I can do more and more of. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Way to use your growth mindset...in cleaning and in your classroom!

    We read when we come into class in the mornings....using our fringe time for extra reading minutes.
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, and wouldn't most teachers love it if their mornings could start with the principal asking them to read for a while? If adults would like it, kids would too.

      Delete
  10. I am so behind on my reading. Almost a month behind! Yikes!! But I am reading it now. And I love this post. My teammate Karen has always emphasized this question. Why...why...what's the purpose? I am so thankful for this because it always makes me think about the purpose behind everything I do. I will never be perfect at it. I'm human. But at least we have that question in our mind.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, I know the behind feeling. :) Sometimes I need to remind myself to ask why. It's easy to get in a groove that turns into a rut.

      Delete