Thursday, October 1, 2015

Words Are Not For Hurting



Words are not for hurting. Some first graders need a bit of help with this concept. 

Think. (Oh how difficult this can be.) Are the words I'm thinking going to hurt? 

If so, then swallow those words.

If those words accidentally (or otherwise) come out, make it right.

That's where this chart comes in handy, because first graders (and many adults) don't know how to make it right. "Sorry" is not a one-way ticket to get out of trouble.

Charts like this don't automatically fix issues, but they sure provide a helpful scaffold that can be referred to all throughout the year (Hopefully they'll catch on sooner though, right?).


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I have a little monkey who'd benefit from this. He has it in his head that he can be as naughty as he likes, as long as he says sorry afterwards!?! Driving me crazy:) Thanks for the great suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, that's one of the things I dislike the most about "sorry." Typically kids don't know how to use it for the right reasons, and it drives me crazy too!

      Delete
  2. I teach my kiddos to respond to an apology by saying, "thank you for your apology. Please do not do it again" while looking the "apologizer" right in the eye. None of that "that's okay" stuff 'cuz it's not okay. They just love having those tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. There aren't any "that's okay" comments in my room either. :)

      Delete
  3. I can think of some students just this past week that could benefit from this chart/lesson after a difficult time at recess. Great life skills!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, It's definitely a lesson for all ages, huh? :)

      Delete
  4. I love this! Is this from Smart Charts?! My Owlets have to reply to I'm sorry with "I forgive." I'm stealing this for Monday...Sorry for saying the M word!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I didn't find the idea from Smarter Charts, but the method of making it definitely came from the book. I just love that book. No worries about the M word. :)

      Delete