Saturday, September 2, 2017

Brain Growers: Optimism

Teaching our youngest learners that they can grow their brains is a must. I can hardly imagine a better resource than A Mindset for Learning by Kristine Mraz and Christine Hertz.  


As suggested in the book, I'm teaching my first graders five brain growers. This last week we learned about optimism. I chose to introduce the idea with this video. "Kiddos, watch this video with me to find out how this girl grew her brain." (We only watched the first few minutes.)




After a discussion of what they noticed and learned, we were ready to define optimism. I used the definition and visual given in A Mindset for Learning. We then shared personal stories of optimism.


It was then the perfect time to create our Can poster, a project I've been doing for a few years now. Look here.


Throughout the week, we also read Elephants Cannot Dance by Mo Willems and The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss. "Kiddos, let's look for evidence of optimism in this book today."

We also took on the chain challenge. Check it out here. It certainly requires optimism.



Later in the week we used interactive writing to create an optimism crown that's great for celebrating those who are growing their brains. 


I'm looking forward to practicing flexibility next week. Let's grow some brains!

P.S. I published a book for teachers! Look here to check it out.



Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I will have to check out this book. I love the idea of teaching young kids optimism and may have to once again steal your idea Tammy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, you would get along great with this book!

      Delete
  2. I need to read this book for sure and start thinking about how to incorporate! THanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete